Recycled Packaging & Sustainability in Dallas-Fort Worth TX
“Sustainability” can be difficult to define from industry to industry but here, in general, is what we think it means for us: Maintaining a delicate balance between human needs and preserving natural resources and ecosystems on which we and future generations depend.
More specifically for Mountain Valley Spring Company, “sustainability” means it meets consumer demand for good tasting, high quality bottled water while:
- Withdrawing water from our watershed in a manner not impacting the long term viability of the watershed;
- Manufacturing our bottled water product using as little packaging as possible;
- Working with government, industry and public interest groups to recover and reuse as much bottled water packaging as possible;
- Using as little energy as possible in the manufacture of bottled water products and, when possible, using renewable energy sources in the manufacturing process; and,
- Doing the thousand little things in and about the manufacturing and distribution processes to make as little impact on our environment as possible.
Even more specifically, here are some of the concrete steps we have taken to become a sustainable enterprise:
We use recycled content in our packaging. And not just a token amount. We currently include twenty-five percent (25%) rPET in our PET bottles and thirty-five percent (35%) recycled glass in
our glass bottles. We believe it is crucial to recycling efforts to have economic demand for the old bottles collected by recyclers. Our motto is “If you recycle it again, we’ll reuse it again!”
We incentivize our employees’ recycling efforts by giving all the money we make by selling the scrap paper, plastic and glass to an employee fund organized and run by our employees. It turns out to be a fair amount of money! A committee made up of employees makes independent decisions on how to use the money in that fund to meet the emergency needs of their fellow workers, make grants to community projects or for any other useful purpose as they see fit.
While not directly related to sustainability, our people have done many wonderful things with the Mountain Valley Employee Fund.
Instead of burning electricity, we have replaced sections of walls in our water bottling plant with clear paneling to let in more sunlight.
We have reduced the cardboard we use by doing away with case dividers.